The 4th tip in our Best Practices series on social media monitoring is to personalize responses to customers. While you should compile a set of pre-written replies, personalizing them will have much more impact than a generic reply. Tip 4, which follows, was preceded yesterday by Tip 3, in our blog, on creating processes.
Tip 4. Provide personalized responses.
- Create a series of pre-written replies to post publicly or privately to help streamline the process and create consistency. Write these carefully because:
- The customer interprets written words without tone.
- Thousands of people can potentially see your replies.
- Personalize pre-written responses on a case-by-case basis to be specific to that customer’s needs. A response that feels automated will be counter-productive. Add a human touch by:
- Using a customer’s name if it’s clear from their profile, such as “Hello Donna.”
- Ensuring the replies are positive in tone.
- Showing empathy and apologizing when necessary.
- Closing replies with the Brand Specialist’s name or initials, rather than a company name.