Call centers conduct one-on-one interviews of job candidates as a standard process. Panel interviews can be effective as a supplement. While the two are similar, a panel interview can draw out candidate qualities that a one-on-one interview may not. The first of five steps for a successful panel interview follows:
Step 1. Prepare for the Interviews.
- Select two to three interviewers who will pose questions to five to eight candidates during the same session.
- Create the list of questions that will be posed to the candidates. These questions should be designed to create dialogue within the group. See Tip 3 for examples.
- Determine which interviewer will take on the role of scribe.
- The scribe records the most notable comments during the interview. This is important later when your team discusses and evaluates the candidates and their answers following the panel interview.
- Each interviewer can still take notes to record their own impressions during the session as each may perceive comments in a different way.