An effective training program ensures a successful transfer of knowledge – about brand culture, products and processes. Providing Brand Specialists with a solid foundation of information helps them in their daily responsibilities, as well as throughout their careers, to create brand passion and meaningful customer engagement. It sets the stage for continuous development of specialists, the program and the call center. While extremely difficult to condense the vast array of training expertise, we summarize in these 5 tips for developing training programs:
1. Design Objectives and Outcomes. Setting objectives and outcomes identifies your expectations for training and how you will measure success. They will guide you developing training programs.
- Work with stakeholders to define expectations for the Brand Specialists.
- Work with subject matter experts to determine measurable outcomes.
2. Invest in Content Development. Create a content strategy to include training manuals, knowledgebases and service bulletins, whether physical or digital. Content is critical to creating a proven repeatable process that generates consistent trainings as well as to provide information Brand Specialists can access in an instant from the knowledgebase.
- Preparing training modules is a special skill. Invest in professionals to create training manuals correctly the first time.
- Provide new hires with access to knowledgebase content.
3. Design Content Delivery. Choosing varied training techniques will help keep Brand Specialists attentive and reinforce knowledge as they are learning in the classroom. Assessments measure their success in training.
- Use assessments by technique (visual and auditory), such as role playing exercises, gamification and side-jacking.
- Use assessments to ensure comprehension and to determine if additional training/role playing is required.
4. Measure Delivery Effectiveness. Evaluating training will help determine additional and future sessions.
- Design surveys to evaluate training effectiveness and applicability.
- Bring Brand Specialists back into the classroom one to two days post training to address feedback.
5. Never Stop Training. Incorporate continuous improvement feedback loop into quality assurance when developing training. Regularly assessing and coaching Brand Specialists will help them develop.
- Plan recurring training.
- Set follow-up assessments and regular coaching.
- Meet frequently for quality calibration.
Effective training is a foundation for branded client engagement. The more your Brand Specialists learn about the relevant products and processes, the better they’ll be at providing the proper customer experience. Studies have shown that your investment in training is impactful to customers. According to ICMI, 82 percent of consumers say the No. 1 factor in a great customer service experience is having their issues resolved quickly. Well-trained Brand Specialists can have a positive impact to your bottom line.